bagfetishperson

Thursday, March 21, 2013

I am drooling over Anya Hindmarch Bathurst

 




I have been a loyal fans of Anya Hindmarch for almost a decade. Started circa 2004, I got myself an Anya Hindmarch Be A Bag tote. It was the popular photo bag and a big hit during that time. That year was the beginning of my bag addiction and further down the road I finally managed to 'collect' around 6-7 Be A Bag with various photos/print, like dogs, cats and grannies. I do still keep 2 of them (with cat and dog photos) as these 2 bags have some sentimental values for me.

Since then, I classified Anya Hindmarch as one of my favourite brands and regularly checked the website. Most of the time I was drooling over their bags which I believed to be made with excellent craftsmanship. And now I could not help myself from making a special post for this elegant bag.

It is named Bathurst, as inspired by the 1st Baron Bathurst, a renowned 18th Century politician and the bag is made from box calf leather. This type of the leather reminds me of Hermes box calf leather which is often used in belt or bags (like Kelly or Birkin). In my opinion, the bag has the 'Kelly' theme, i.e. a classic bag in boxy shape with handle and long strap. Yet Anya Hindmarch has added some elements of fun to the bag, like bi-color long leather strap and enamel lock featuring a discreet lucky clover. The enamel clover portrait inlay has given a sense of cuteness to the bag, and I like it.

Bathurst can be considered as a small-sized bag. Its dimension is 21cm x 17cm x 8cm and a continental wallet might not be able to go into the bag. The bag is lined in soft suede and has few useful inside pockets. Its quoted price is GBP1,195.

The website also provides the interesting history of 'box calf' leather which is worth quoting.

Calf is a young hide, highly valued for it’s smooth and regular surface. Named after Joseph Box, a 19th century London shoemaker, Box calf is a very traditional leather identifiable by its unique subtle square markings on the grain. This is achieved by softening the leather and lightly creasing it by folding grain to grain and then working the fold across the leather to and fro. Anya Hindmarch's box calf has a “aniline” finish which maintains the natural feel of the skin.





images from anyahindmarch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment