bagfetishperson

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The transformation of YSL Chyc Cabas


 



I am still weeping over the change of YSL into SLP *hiks* I simply missed its 'Y' logo which has made YSL so unique among other high end brands.

One of the YSL handbags that I constantly covet is the iconic Chyc Cabas (other than the Easy bag). I have one Chyc Cabas in green that I can repeatedly appraise for the overall design and quality of craftsmanship. And I do still keep a wishlist for the Small Chyc Cabas (that comes with longstrap) and hope to own one next year *fingers crossed*. But when I recently browsed around the YSL website I noticed that there has been major changes on Chyc Cabas look. I was very surprised! Well, obviously the changes must be commissioned by Mr. Hedi Slimane, the new YSL creative director.

The obvious changes that will be easily noticed are the (new) clochette, (thicker and square-ish) hardware for handles and zipper pull and (the missing) accent panels that create a "Y" outline (see above photos for bags on the right). One thing that remains is the big and bold Y hardware logo *Thanks God*

And before the latest Chyc Cabas look, there is a Chyc Cabas in transition that still incorporates the old design (i.e. the accent panels that create 'Y' outline) yet has applied new and sleeker hardware design. See the bag in the middle on above photos.

If I have to choose only one Chyc Cabas, then it must be the Chyc Cabas in transition. What I like the most about this 'bag in the middle' is that it has applied new hardware, especially on the handles and zipper pull, yet the old YSL feels is still there. Though I still can accept and adore the first generation of Chyc Cabas which will soon become extinct *hello Santa, please visit my bag blog and read my wishlist!*


The description of the new Chyc petite Cabas in YSL website is as follows

Tubular top handle bag with external leather pouch with enclosed key ring.
  • Calfskin with leather lining
  • Removable shoulder strap
  • 2 slot pockets
  • Double zip closure, gold-toned "Y" buckle and metal protective feet
  • Style ID: 311210 BJ50J 1000
  • Dimensions: 12" x 8.5" x 6", Drop 4"
  • Made in Italy

One last thing that I have to note down is the major price transformation. Before Mr. Slimane came, the small chyc cabas was priced usd1850, yet now the sleeker and more minimalist small chyc cabas (or now called Chyc petite Cabas) would cost us usd2350 *oouch*


sources: www.ysl.com

No comments:

Post a Comment